It's National Pickle Day, let's celebrate JJ style!
You might be thinking, "WHAT? Pickle soup?!" But if you're a pickle lover like me, this is for you!
What to order from JJ's:
1 pickle bucket, you'll use about 3 whole dills (12 quarter slices), diced
1 stick of day old bread (or more, if you're a bread guy like me 😉)
What you'll need at home (serves 6-8):
- 5 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 3/4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups chopped carrots (smaller dice)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups dill pickle juice (from JJ pickle bucket)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
What to do:
1. In a large pot, combine broth, potatoes, carrots, and butter.
2. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
3. Add diced Jimmy Pickles and continue to boil.
4. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sour cream and water, making a paste.
5. Vigorously whisk sour cream mixture (2 tablespoons at a time) into soup. (This will also break up some of your potatoes which is totally cool. You might see some initial little balls of flour form, but between the whisking and boiling all will disappear. Don't stress!)
6. Add Jimmy Pickle juice, Old Bay, salt (to taste), pepper and cayenne.
7. Cook 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
Your new fave Jimmy Pickle Soup is ready to EAT! (Don't forget to let it cool a bit.)